Abstract: Photoexcitation of donor-bridge-acceptor molecules commonly induces the transfer of single electrons, leading to the formation of simple electron-hole pairs. In the first part of this talk, new systems that go conceptually beyond simple charge-separation will be presented. This includes long-range electron transfer reactions that are coupled to multiple proton transfers (1), circular electron transfer (2), and multi-electron transfer leading to charge accumulation (3). The second part of the talk will focus on photoredox catalysis of organic transformations such as reductive amination (4), and in the third part new photosensitizers made from earth-abundant metal elements will be presented (5).
(1) A. Pannwitz, O. S. Wenger, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 13308.
(2) C. B. Larsen, O. S. Wenger, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 841.
(3) J. Nomrowski, O. S. Wenger, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018, 140, 5343.
(4) X. Guo, O. S. Wenger, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 2469.
(5) L. A. Büldt, X. Guo, R. Vogel, A. Prescimone, O. S. Wenger, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 985.