Leave of Absence

A graduate student who finds it necessary for parental, health, personal, professional, or academic reasons, to interrupt his or her studies may apply for a leave of absence.  You should discuss any request for a Leave of Absence with your Supervisor and the Graduate Advisor.  The Faculty of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies has some information about how to apply for a Leave of Absence:

Parental Accommodation

Graduate students with substantial parenting responsibilities for a newborn or newly adopted child under the age of six during their course of study may apply for an eight-week parental accommodation period:

Maternity/Parental benefits vary depending on the grant a student is paid from, and whether they hold a fellowship or not.  Information about benefits can be found on the Faculty of Science website:

Graduate students employed as teaching assistants may be eligible for benefits.  Please see for additional information.  CUPE 2278 maintains a Hardship Maternity Fund for teaching assistants who are experiencing financial hardship due to the birth of a child.  Please see for more information.