MAJOR EMERGENCIES (FIRE, POLICE, AMBULANCE):
- Immediately call 911 and, then call UBC First Aid:
- For serious injuries call 911 immediately.
- For both serious and minor injuries call UBC First Aid:
- Immediately report the incident to your direct supervisor. For students and TAs the supervisor is the course or lab instructor.
- Report the incident as soon as possible to www.cairs.ubc.ca. Both the person involved and the supervisor MUST submit a report.
EMERGENCY SPILL RESPONSE:
For spills larger than 1L of toxic, flammable, or highly hazardous materials, and/or for spills that have an immediate threat to anyone’s safety, follow the procedures listed below.
- Immediately evacuate the area, and call 9-1-1.
- Do not attempt to clean up the spill.
- Go to the designated muster location and do not re-enter.
- As soon as it is possible, report the incident to Campus Security at 604-822-2222, and request for UBC First Aid to attend to any injuries and/or chemical exposure incidents. Campus Security will immediately contact UBC SRS for support.
- HAZMAT and/or the fire department will help with proper spill clean-up procedures.
- Do not re-enter the affected areas until the Emergency Director has notified everyone when it is safe to re-enter.
Spill clean-up procedures and response varies on the amount and material of spill. You may be able to respond to a small contained lab spill if you have been trained, have the appropriate PPE, have the proper clean-up materials, and if you are not working alone. If appropriate equipment and trained personnel are not available on-site, the clean-up should not proceed.
- For spills greater than 1L of toxic, flammable, or highly hazardous materials, follow the Emergency Spill Response directly above.
- Common spill clean-up procedures can be found here.
- Spill Carts for common spills are available and are located outside of A237, A352, B170, C124E, E219, E315, & E415.
- The Hydrofluoric Acid Spill Kit is located inside the Glassblower's Shop at CHEM D113.
- Contact the Safety Office at 604-827-5216 or UBC SRS at 604-822-5909) for spill clean-up advice.
FIRE BELLS RINGING:
- STOP ALL PROCEDURES - de-energize and shut-off appropriate equipment and gas valves.
- CLOSE ALL DOORS behind you or after the last person has left the room.
- IMMEDIATELY EXIT THE BUILDING and go to the muster location.
- DO NOT USE THE ELEVATOR
- DO NOT RE-ENTER until the Emergency Director has announced "ALL CLEAR".
Chemistry Dept Emergency Procedures Poster: