Research and Teaching Interests
Research in the Hein lab focuses on the development of automated reaction analytical technology to serve mechanistic organic chemistry. These studies blend advanced robotics with synthetic organic chemistry. Current studies are aimed at solving a diverse set of problems, including understanding catalytic reaction mechanisms, building robust chemical processes for manufacturing, and developing coupled preferential crystallization technologies for chemical purification. These studies are enabled by a collection of prototype modular robotic tools and integrated analytical hardware which create the first broadly applicable automated reaction profiling toolkit.
Daponte, J. A.; Guo, Y.; Ruck, R. T.; Hein, J. E.* “Using an automated monitoring platform for investigations of biphasic reactions.” ACS Catal. 2019, 9(12), p. 11484–11491.
MacLeod, B. P.; Parlane, F. G. L.; Morrissey, T. D.; Häse, F.; Roch, L.; Dettelbach, K. E.; Moreira, R.; Yunker, L. P. E.; Rooney, M. B.; Deeth, J. R.; Lai, V.; Ng, G. J.; Situ, H.; Zhang, R. H.; Aspuru-Guzik, A.*; Hein, J. E.*; Berlinguette, C. P.* “Self-driving Laboratory for Accelerated Discovery of Thin-Film Materials.” Sci. Adv. (Accepted), arXiv:1906.05398.
Christensen, M.; Adedeji, F.; Grosser, S.; Zawatzky, K.; Ji, Y.; Liu, J.; Jurica, J. A.; Naber, J. R.; Hein, J. E.* “Development of an automated kinetic profiling system with online HPLC for reaction optimization.” React. Chem. & Eng. 2019, 4(9), p. 1555-1558.
Chung, R.; Vo, A.; Fokin, V. V.*; Hein, J. E.* “Catalyst Activation, Chemoselectivity, and Reaction Rate Controlled by the Counterion in the Cu(I)-Catalyzed Cycloaddition Between Azide and Terminal or 1-Iodoalkynes.” ACS Catal. 2018, 8(9), p. 7889–7897.
Malig, T. C.; Yu, D. N.; Hein, J. E.* “A Revised Mechanism for the Kinugasa Reaction.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018, 140(29), p. 9167–9173.
Roch, L. M.; Häse, F.; Kreisbeck, C.; Tamayo-Mendoza, T.; Yunker, L. P. E.; Hein, J. E.; Aspuru-Guzik, A.*: “ChemOS: Orchestrating autonomous experimentation.” Sci. Robot. 2018, 3(19), DOI: 10.1126/scirobotics.aat5559
Higman, C. S.; Situ, H.; Blacklin, P.; Hein, J. E.*: “Hands-on Data Analysis: Using 3D Printing to Visualize Reaction Progress Surfaces.” J. Chem. Ed., 2017, 94(9), p. 1367 – 1371.
- Associate Professor, University of British Columbia (2019 – present)
- Assistant Professor, University of British Columbia (2015 – 2019)
- Assistant Professor, University of California, Merced (2011 – 2015)
- Senior Research Associate under Prof. Donna Blackmond, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla (2009 – 2011)
- NSERC Postdoctoral Fellow under Profs. K. Barry Sharpless and Valery V. Fokin, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla (2005 – 2009)
- Ph.D. Student under Prof. Philip G. Hultin, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg (2000 – 2005)
- B.Sc. Student, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg (1996 – 2000)